Thursday, May 29, 2014

Happy Birthday Cake/The Move



Moving isn't too fun, but it was made better yesterday by cake. While packing and waiting for Elise and Josh to arrive with the truck, I made a cake. I spoke with my sister on the phone, and she picked the cake for the week. She turned twenty-five yesterday, and chose a devil's food cake with mocha buttercream frosting for her birthday cake from afar. We both liked the irony, since she is studying to be a priest.

I wished I could have been with her in New Haven for her birthday--she went bowling with friends. On many of my birthdays she has surprised me with visits. She's a wonderful sister, and I miss her so much. But I had to be here, moving apartments. Here is the state of the kitchen before I started baking:


The picture is a little blurry, and I guess it doesn't look all that different from usual. There is no table, so I used the white bowl you see on the stove to mix all the ingredients together. I sat down on one chair and put the bowl on the other and mixed it with a fork as best I could. The butter was cold and never really blended all the way. Good Housekeeping's devil's food cake calls for chocolate and buttermilk, and is supposed to be light and airy. I imagine it would be if it were better blended. Mine turned out a bit spongy; it was eggy and dense. I'm not sure what makes devil's food different from chocolate cake.

Once the cakes were in the oven, I rinsed out the bowl and made the frosting. Christopher was in and out moving. We didn't speak much. Howard played with Twinkle Toes and kept him from trying to wrestle with Dudley. Moving is tricky with cats. When we loaded the truck, I kept them in my room so they wouldn't run out. Funny thing, our downstairs neighbor's cats are the ones that did the most escaping. Part of last night was spent corralling Marco (who is very hissy and swatty) and Autumn back inside. Our cats are all reacting to the empty space differently. Noreen sits hunched in a corner, Dudley's been spraying all over Christopher's stuff, and Twinkle Toes plays as usual. I've been trying to keep their schedule as normal as possible, and trying to play and give them attention, too. Last night I slept on the floor on two folded over blankets, and so the two cats had to huddle really close to me. Twink settled in to sleep quickly by my feet, while Noreen paced around me until I gave her one of my pillows by my head.

Noreen folded in half, just woken up from a nap
TT and his prey
When the cakes were completely cooled, I set them on the cake platter on the stove and iced them quickly. Howard and I put the harness and leash on Twink and sat on the front porch. The house, stuffed with boxes and wiped pretty much clean of personality, was claustrophobic. Josh and Elise, brightly waving, pulled up in the truck and we immediately started loading. It was a perfect day to move--cool and dry. It didn't take long, and everyone was relaxed and so helpful. When we finished, Elise made everyone coffee and I brought down the cake. 
We lit the candles in the foyer
and then we sang "Happy Birthday" to Jessie's voicemail
After singing, we collectively blew out the candles. I don't know if anyone made a wish. I didn't think to, but retrospectively I wish for an easy transition into the new place. 

"It's okay," says my expression
We ate the cake on the front porch, and our neighbor's daughter Frances joined us. She showed me a story she had written from the perspective of one of my foster kittens. 

It was a sweet sort of goodbye to Carmen
The next thing I bake will be in Pilsen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment