Thursday, June 26, 2014

Vegan Rhubarb Pie, Take Two (+Black Bottom Pie)


Jenny from Tree House grows rhubarb in her garden, and she brought a big bag of it for me this week, with the caveat that I bring pie for her. I love rhubarb pie, but I will never get through all the cakes and pies in my cookbook if I make it every other week, so along with it, I made a Black Bottom custard pie (decidedly non-vegan).

Howard was my assistant baker again this week, and it's looking like that will be the usual. Our routine is shaping up to be Wednesday night in Logan Square, and travel to Pilsen the next day to feed the cats and bake. I love baking together. It's good bonding time. Conversation sometimes come easier to me when my mind is partially on a task before me. Along those lines, my favorite way to clean is before an audience. Sometimes I find myself inviting a friend over, and having him sit in the kitchen while I wash dishes and clean the stove top while we catch up. I guess part of it is working off nervous energy.

We made the rhubarb pie first. Howard took charge of cutting the stalks, plus we added raspberries and strawberries this time. The addition of raspberries gives the pie an extra tartness, a back of the cheek-watering tartness. I rolled out the oil crust on a wrinkled piece of plastic wrap, which gave the unbaked crust the look of human flesh. Howard excitedly exclaimed: "That's how we would make skin in a movie! And a cannibal could peel that back and underneath would be mashed raspberries, and she could eat that."

mmm
As that baked for forty minutes, we made the custard pie. The gingersnap crumbs probably weren't crumbled enough, and the custard turned out a little lumpy. We haven't tasted that yet as it is still cooling in the fridge and needs whipped cream. I'm sure it will be tasty, though!

The rest of the rhubarb pie will head to work with me tomorrow. If the custard pie turns out well, I may bring that on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment