Thursday, November 6, 2014

The End is Nigh

Image from 28 Days Later
I met with Elise today, which is always inspiring. We talked about our writing projects and ideas for the future. I am currently meandering my way through Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, and it's coming up on a perfect season for the slow savoring of a novel. Prompted by my pleasure in this reading experience, I want to tackle one of the largest novels on my shelf, of which I know nothing about: Middlemarch. I have thoughts of a future blog project for that.

But first: working my way through the pies and cakes of Good Housekeeping. I'm feeling antsy now about finishing this project, and so when I got home I made a list of the remaining cakes and pies, not counting the cakes that start with a mix. Then I eliminated the custard pies, because they are disgusting. After that I cut out the ones that were pretty much pouring a can of fruit onto ice cream and calling it a pie, and lastly I scratched out "jelly roll" because it sounds revolting. That leaves me with twenty-six pies/cakes.

The forecast:
Pumpkin chiffon pie for Lauren's going-away party this Saturday
Butternut squash pie next Thursday
? for Howard's birthday on the 22nd
Sour cream pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving at Stephanie and Amanda's
Vegan mince pie at Sydney's on the 28th
Spicy gingerbread cake Dec 4th
Peppermint pie Dec 11th
Grasshopper pie for my birthday Dec 18th
Christmas pie on Christmas
3 layer party cake for the first day of 2015.

HOLY SHIT!

The end is nigh.

Remaining pies:
Butterscotch cream
Concord grape
Deep-dish cherry-berry
Deep-dish plum
Double peanut
Freezer pineapple-orange
Fudge-Nut (makes me smirk every time, which is disgusting)
Gooseberry
Raspberry Ribbon
Rich Bavarian

Remaining cakes:
Angel food
Big orange chiffon
Chocolate chip chiffon
Deluxe marble
German gold poundcake
Merryfield apple
Sugar bush walnut (another one that earns a chuckle)

If anyone is interested in a particular pie or cake, please let me know and we can arrange a date to get together and enjoy it and/or bake it together.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be sad when this ends! I so wish I could bake one of these remaining goodies with you, like the raspberry ribbon or angel food.

    ReplyDelete