Friday, September 26, 2014

The Peace in Recipes and Cake Gore


Today I made a walnut fudge cake, and it took hours. I needed to pick up some things from the store, and that helped me realize how expensive this weekly baking project is. Along with the weight I (imagine?) I'm putting on (I went clothes shopping on Wednesday and realized I'm definitely a 30-inch waist now), this goal has an impact on my finances as well. I do a good job not thinking too much about either.

Because once I start measuring the ingredients and setting out my mixing bowls, I become calm and happy. The recipes give an order to the next hour or two of my day, and it sets out attainable goals, the finished product of which will be there, visible to me and the world, and ready to be enjoyed.

The cake is three layers, two crunchy fillings, and a thick glaze of chocolatey-nutty sweetness.


Howard and I enjoyed our slices with mugs of fresh-made coffee and our three (out of four) familiars around us. Twinkle Toes rolling around on the table beside me, prompting me to say I don't think I should ever have children because they'd never compare to his perfect adorability, Suki dozing next to Howard, and the dog grunting and snuffling around the room, leaving his vapors and trails of farts and mucus in his wake. Georgella dwells like a banished queen in the bedroom, where she occasionally yowls at the door, wanting us to come to bed so she can sleep on us and groom my beard. 


Last night, once Howard got home from school around one in the morning, he introduced me to, and consequently slept through, the Italian film The Beyond, of the Giallo genre. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term, Giallo films are known for their extreme violence and gore. The Beyond was set in a broken-down hotel in Louisiana which happened to be built on one of the seven doorways to Hell. It was not a very coherent movie, but what it lacked in plot and continuity it made up with multiple face-meltings and a man eaten by tarantulas. The above picture is a cake-version of Giallo: a close-up shot of gooey insides. Yum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment