Thursday, March 5, 2015

Moratorium


The blog posts have slowed down along with my baking. If I'm honest with myself, my taste for sweets has been going down since December, but my drive to complete a goal fueled me for a bit longer. Now, when I attempt to think of making and eating a pie/cake a week, it's as though my mind runs into a brick wall. I can't even think about it. Perhaps the noticeable gain in weight was part of it, but I think flooding my system with flour and sugar, along with other unfamiliar and new ingredients such as corn syrup and shortening, have taken a toll. I feel like a smoker trying to quit who eats a pack of cigarettes.

Howard and I went out for coffee yesterday and he ordered a luscious piece of pie. I didn't even look at their selection.

This isn't to say I've stopped eating sweets altogether. I'll still grab up a piece of chocolate when it's offered or share a pint of Ben and Jerry's while binge watching Brooklyn 99, but my desire for pie and cake is temporarily shot.

It also isn't to say I'm finished with Good Housekeeping. I made biscuits from from it today, and it is still my go-to cookbook. But for now, my bake-and-blog project is over. It does seem a shame to stop so close to the end, with just a handful of desserts remaining. When the occasion presents itself, I will make a butterscotch cream pie or angel food cake, but I will no longer attempt to make these weekly.

It feels good to write that, and free up my mind for other projects. For writing: Howard and I recently read each other stories we are working on, and it was an exciting experience which has prompted me to go back and edit a story I've been working on. For cooking/baking: A transition to a "lighter" diet, a combination of Dad's Mediterranean diet and exploring Korean food.

And really, baking isn't the only thing I make a mess of. I may continue to post here with other misadventures in cooking, or just life.

No comments:

Post a Comment